Parent’s Charter and Consent
A set of guidelines for parents to enable them to help us give their children the best and most enjoyable experience of our sport.
- Physical Needs and Safety.
- Please do not allow your child to train when they are unwell
- Or when overtired.
- Children should be appropriately clothed before, during and after training. A complete change of clothes should be brought for training on every occasion and a warm coat/fleece jumper for wearing to go home.
- It is important to have breakfast, especially before Saturday training and a snack between school and evening training is necessary. Please ensure children drink before training.
- Parents should deliver and collect children at the clubhouse (on time please) rather than dropping them off at the car park. This covers a number of safety issues.
- For the benefit of your children, coaches need to know about any special considerations that may apply to them, either mental or physical. (fears, phobias, allergies etc)
- Suitable equipment is important for good progression. We supply all necessary equipment in the early stages. If a parent is intent on buying any item of equipment we would ask if them to liaise with their child’s coach before going ahead.
- Junior members may only paddle in coach led groups. Junior paddlers are not permitted to hold keys or go on the river alone at any time. Neither should they use gym equipment without supervision/permission.
- Mental and Social Wellbeing
- Please report any problem that occurs (however trivial) as soon as possible either to your child’s coach, a committee member or the Child Protection Officer.
- Changes in circumstance at home or school can cause stress for children. Let us know if your child is having a bad time.
- We are a competitive club but the emphasis is on self-improvement at whatever rate is natural to each child. Please try to avoid stress by exerting undue pressure to perform, or comparing your child with others.
- Liaise regularly with your child’s coach in order that you are aware of any changes in normal proceedings and try to make sure that any notes distributed are given to you.
- You are very welcome to watch our activities at any time, and many children appreciate parental interest.
- Helping to Keep the Club Running Smoothly
- Arrive on time for training sessions.
- Inform us of any long absences e.g. holidays.
- Encourage children to respect the equipment we provide and never to use equipment owned by others without their permission. Please check with your child that they have put their equipment away before they leave.
- Come into the clubhouse, read the notice boards, chat to other parents and members. Please feel free to join in and help where you can. (We are all volunteers)
It is a condition of membership for under 18-year-olds that their Parent / Guardian agree to the following:
- I agree to my son/daughter taking part in club activities.
- I understand that all juniors must wear buoyancy aids when paddling unless they are expressly allowed to so not do by the relevant coach, having taken account of prevailing conditions, ability and experience.
- I confirm to the best of my knowledge that my son/daughter does not suffer from any medical condition other than those listed on the membership form. I will ensure that the Club is kept updated regarding any change/condition which may be relevant and affect my child’s capacity/safety in club activities.
- I consent to my child receiving medical treatment, which in the opinion of a qualified medical practitioner, may be necessary.
- I consent that photographs taken by authorised personnel of my son/daughter at BCU or Club events may be used to promote paddle sport and may be used in published article or publicity regarding the Club’s activities, including use on the website. I confirm that my son/daughter is not subject to any court order prohibiting publication of their image.
- I consent to my son/daughter being a subject of video recording for canoe/kayak training purposes.
- In the event of my child attending a club / BCU activity away from the Club where I am unable to transport them myself, I consent to them travelling by minibus/car driven by a club coach or I will take responsibility for arrangements with another parent. I agree to be at the pick-up/drop-off point at the agreed time.
- I understand that the Club or Organisers accept no responsibility for loss, damage or injury caused by or during attendance on any of the club’s organised activities except where such loss, damage or injury can be shown to result directly from the negligence of the Club or the Organisers.
Issued May 2018